Lincoln CastlePlaces to Visit
- All the family
- Under 5s
- School age
Lincoln Castle is located in the centre of Lincoln, at one end of Castle Hill (with the Cathedral at the opposite end). Built by William the Conqueror in 1068, Lincoln Castle has stood for hundreds of years and within it's walls, you can discover 1000 years of history. From the top of the walls you get get fantastic views out across the Lincolnshire countryside and beyond, as well as wonderful views of Lincoln Cathedral and the city. The grounds are very scenic, with steep grassy banks to climb and paths to explore. It's a lovely spot for a picnic or a sit down in the sunshine. You can access the grounds free of charge (ticket prices apply for the wall walk).
Opening hours: 10am- 5pm | 7 days a week
Following the Government Guidance about new Coronavirus measure this November, Lincoln Castle will be closing the Medieval Wall Walk, Victorian Prison and Magna Carter experience from November 5th 2020.
The Castle grounds will remain open for visitors to enjoy from 10am - 4pm, seven days a week for exercise and wellbeing. The cafe will be open for takeaway.
In order to uphold safe social distancing they have introduced some new measures that they need to make you aware of:
(information from Lincoln Castle website)
- Hand sanitising stations
- One way system- entry in through the main East Gate and access out, will be by the West Gate.
- Online pre-book tickets only to minimise staff contact on arrival
- Extra cleaning
- Social distancing measures
- Wheelchair access to the east section of the wall will remain available but will be limited to two wheelchair users at any one time.
- No complimentary wall walk audio guides will be handed out, but you can download it here to your chosen device to listen to on your visit.
- In line with Government guidance the Victorian Prison, Magna Carta Vault, Heritage Skills Centre, gift shop and toilets remain closed although we are working hard to get these open as quickly and as safely as possible.
- No maps or handouts will be distributed on site to prevent the spread of Covid-19, so why not pre-download your site map here.
Tickets & Prices - to be pre-booked online
Tickets must be pre-booked online, and cannot be purchased over the telephone. If you are an annual ticket holder, you do not need to purchase a ticket online. On completion of your order, you will be emailed an e-ticket containing a barcode and Booking Reference Number. You’ll receive your booking confirmation by email. Just bring this with you, either on your mobile device or as a print out. The email will contain a barcode that our team will scan when you arrive.
- Wall Walk (Adult, 17 years to senior citizen) £10.00
- Wall Walk Family (2 adults and up to 3 children) £25.50
- Wall Walk Concession (Senior citizens, students, disabilities, unemployed) £9.00
- Wall Walk Child (ages 5-16) £5.50
- Wall Walk Under 5 FREE
Due to current restrictions, Langton's cafe within the grounds are operating on a restricted service, offering takeaway service only, offering a wide variety of food including warm Panini, sandwiches, light bites, children's options and drinks. The full menu can be found here.
The grounds and wall walk are suitable for wheelchairs, however the entrance via East gate does have a lot of cobbles due to the nature of the old building. The Medieval Wall Walk has a lift to take you to the top of the of the east section of the wall offering spectacular views over Lincoln Cathedral. This east section of the walls is accessible from the lift to Cobb Hall. Please note that beyond Cobb Hall there are steps, uneven walkways and narrow sections, which are inaccessible for wheelchair users. Further information on accessibility to the castle grounds and Medieval Wall Walk can be found here.
Prams and Pushchairs
You are welcome to take prams and pushchairs into the grounds. However the wall walk may not be suitable so in order to ensure the comfort of all visitors they ask that you leave pushchairs and buggies in the designated space at East Gate.
Assistance guide dogs only are permitted on site, except during specified dog friendly weekends.
|Monday||10:00 - 17:00|
|Tuesday||10:00 - 17:00|
|Wednesday||10:00 - 17:00|
|Thursday||10:00 - 17:00|
|Friday||10:00 - 17:00|
|Saturday||10:00 - 17:00|
|Sunday||10:00 - 17:00|